Wroclaw- the capital of Lower Silesia- is a city rich in remarkable Works of art and architecture. The history of Wroclaw goes back to the times before Piast dynasty. The oldest known settlement comes from the early 10th century and was built on Ostrów Tumski- the a fortified island between the arms of the urban plan of he present Rynek Square (market square) and the Old Tow was drawn up. The Middle Ages brought a rapid devvelopmeetn of the city. At that time Wroclaw was encircled by two rows of brick fortifications. Its silhouette viewed from the perspective of the plains by Odra River is dominated by numerous chuch spires, including those of the cathedral, founded in the year 1000.
In 1332 King Casimir the Great was forced to give up Silesia. Thus the capital of the province passed under the rule of Czech crown, and subsequently, in 1526, it was take over by the Habsburg monarchy. Partly due to the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648) the Baroque style was very late in reaching this area; when it finally arrived, it left here a large number of marvellous works of architecture, paiting and sculpture.
In 1740 Silesia was annexed by Prussia. The demolition of the city’s massive fortifications by Napoleon’s troops in 1807 made way for spatial development, while the advent of rhe rail way in 1842 accelerated the rhythm of life in the city. With the estruction of the city, turned into Festung Breslay, the over two- hundred-year long German ad Prussian rule came to an end. In 1945 around 70% of the city’s building were turned into ruins. In the post war years Old Town and Ostrow Tumski were rebuilt and numerous churches were reconstructed. Even today the traces of war are still being removed to restore the city its former splendour.
Modern Wroclaw with a population of over 630,000 is a seat of many academic and cultural institutions.